Friday, August 9, 2013

Pandas Might Eat Bamboo But Cavies Do Too.

 Bamboo, until recently was not a plant that I had considered to be a food option for my cavies. After coming across it in several online articles and blog posts, I decided to do some research.

Bamboo is low in calories but high in protein, fiber, nutrients and water. In fact most varieties of bamboo contain higher levels of protein and fiber than common vegetables. Bamboo shoots, in particular are higher in vitamin C than other green vegetables, except those in the Brassica family (bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts etc.) 

Having already trialled banana leaves and pumpkin vines, both of which are now firm favorites with my piggies, I was keen to conduct a bamboo experiment. I headed out to my clump of Bambusa OldHamii, gathered a big handful of leaves and took them into the caviary.
 
The first piggies to try it out were Minnie, her two little half sisters Goldie and Magic and her daughter Luna. They are usually a bit timid when I have the roof of their hutch open but the smell of bamboo proved too tempting. They were all nibbling in no time at all.
 
 The others in the caviary felt the same way about bamboo, with each tucking into their respective leaves immediately. There was absolutely no hesitation to be seen!
My next stop was the lawn hutches. Seraphim and Star decided bamboo was definitely delicious.
Summer was the first one in the pet sows hutch to sneak down the ladder for a peak. Then Chilli poked her head out for a nibble. Quick as a flash, Abby and Wobby pulled the leaves under the loft where they all happily munched together.
 Up in the outdoor bay cages, it was much the same story. I think these photos explain better than my words can!
 
 Even my new boy Caramello, who is currently a little reserved poked his head out and had a taste before pulling the whole lot into his little house to chew in private.
So as you can see, bamboo was an instant hit here. Every single piggie loved it and I can rest assured that it is a good, healthy treat for them.

2 comments:

  1. this was so helpful, i tried it as well and my guinea pigs absolutely loved it! Thankyou! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering. There are several different types of bamboo, are all of them safe?

    ReplyDelete